“Hunter DPS is fine.” — Ghostcrawler
Today I explored the value of crit vs. haste, ranged weapon damage, and considered racial bonuses for hunters.
note: i am currently in the process of updating this post for 4.3, some links may be broken or not there yet.
please be patient if you have come across this post before it’s finished!
- Change Log
- Related posts
- Armor (Head / Neck / Shoulder / Back / Chest / Wrist / Hands / Waist / Legs / Feet / Finger / Trinket)
- Weapons (Melee / Ranged)
Enchants and gems are listed in order from best to least optimal. You should always aim for the best enchant on all of your gear, but I have provided cheaper options for fresh 85s who want to optimize their gear but not splurge on the best of the best for blues they know they’re about to replace. You should ALWAYS enchant your gear, no excuses!
Obviously, the profession-specific option will almost always be the best option for that slot. Read more about your profession options in my Hunter 101 post on professions.
There are a couple of Wrath of the Lich King enchants on this list, indicated by a (wotlk) note… strangely enough, these enchants are still VERY viable in Cataclysm end-game raiding.
The subtitle of this post could very easily be “The Importance of Having Haste”, as I go in to great depth about the value of Haste to us.
First, what the heck IS reforging?
Reforging, as explained by the Arcane Reforger NPC:
For example, if an item afforded you a bonus to strike your enemies but you’d rather it made you attack more quickly, an Arcane Reforger could, for a price, reforge the item to have less Hit Rating but increase your Haste Rating.
So basically, you have the option to forge a less desirable stat into something that you actually want!
Professions are important for anyone to have not only for the obvious perk of being able to make some money, but because professions provide various benefits to each class. There are several factors that should be considered when picking your professions:
- What am I going to do with this character? Raiding? PvP? Twinking?
- Do I have another toon that can farm mats for me or do I need to pick a gathering profession to feed my crafting profession?
- Do I need my professions to provide income for me or do I just need the perks?
- What professions do I have on my other toons and which ones do I still need to level?
And most importantly:
- Which professions give the most benefit to my class?